Tuesday 25 November 2014

Vintage posters and ephemera : an interview with Claudia Varosio
 by Emily


Claudia Varosio is an illustrator from Italy who has a penchant for comics, movies and poster art. She is currently selling her prints over in her Etsy shop. We had a quick chat with her about her work and the inspiration behind her illustrations. 

When did your love for illustration begin?
I have loved drawing since I was little, but it's only been seven years or so since I have developed a full blown love affair with illustration.

What inspires your work?
Vintage posters and ephemera from the 20th century (especially the first few decades), nature, films, tv, art, music... I try to take advantage of everything a big city like London has to offer, to absorb as many influences and expand my views as much as I can; I think my illustration benefits from it, even if not directly.


Can you explain the process behind creating a film illustration? How do you choose a particular scene or symbol from the film to portray in the piece?
Normally the idea comes quite naturally when watching the film. If it doesn't, I sometimes use word association to try and find the right concept.

How has your art developed over the years and how do you see it developing in the future?
I think I have become a lot more obsessive about details, while I guess at the beginning I went for more 'sketchy' images. In the future, I'd like to try and use as many new methods as possible, and experiment as much as I can, even learning new skills.


What has been your most challenging experience as an illustrator? 
Without being too specific... whenever I've been commissioned a project, as opposed to working on a self-initiated one. I have always felt a lot more pressure, which can be extremely positive too, as sometimes it's good to have more constraints.

How do you go about preparing for an illustration?
I think about what image I'd like to work on for a very long time, trying to find the right angle, and then I test various options before starting to work on the final version.


What is your favourite drawing tool?
I love working with my graphic pen tablet, as it combines both analogue and digital... I also enjoy using watercolours.

Can you tell me about your favorite illustration that you have drawn?
I enjoyed creating my London Bridge illustration a lot. It gave me the opportunity to add loads of small detail which I love doing, perhaps also because of my obsession with miniatures...


When creating a landscape illustration, such as the London Bridge illustration, do you use pre-existing resources to help create your illustration or do you do take your own photos to work from?
It varies and depends on the subject, but it can either be mine, or a mix of pre-existing images, or no photo at all.

Can we expect any exciting new projects?
My next collaboration should be a poster for an award winning short, and I also have a few ideas of illustrations I'd like to work on, but I'd prefer not to disclose too much, sorry!

You can learn more about Claudia's work on her website. You can also purchase her prints over on her Etsy shop


No comments:

Post a Comment