Thursday 20 November 2014

getting your glow back : heartbreak proof make-up
 by Kayleigh


My first heart break was over a boy called Martin, I was eight. He was meant to be my boyfriend, but during break-time one day, I caught him playing kiss chase with another girl. I was devastated.

The next day I asked my mum to help me make my hair look special; she put it in a high ponytail with a ribbon tied in a bow and I instantly felt a little better. That next day at school, I held my head high and didn’t even glance in Martin’s direction. It helped even though I was still hurt on the inside.

I’m not saying a new hair style or makeup solves your problems, but I do think it can help you feel better, boost your confidence, add a spring to your step and a twinkle to your eye.

Sometimes you wish you could just hide under the duvet, but more often than not that isn’t an option. So I say… if you have to face the world, then do it with a fresh face, glowing and bright. No one needs to know there is hurt on the inside.

Tears can make your eyes read and your skin puffy. Lack of sleep can make your skin sallow and dull. Stress can cause spots and blemishes. Worry can enhance frown lines. Break-ups, heartbreak, lost love and soul searching combine all of these and so much more… Here are my basic tips for getting your glow back. Of course, feel free to adapt to your own style and colouring!



Always start with a good base; primer evens skin tone, texture and helps with makeup longevity. Apply all over the face but use sparingly; you don’t want this to layer to clump when you add other product on top, so always try and leave it a minute to dry before your add your coverage.



I’m not a lover of ‘slap it on’ or ‘cakey’ style coverage; a CC cream, short for Colour Correction cream, is great alternative to foundation. It’s lighter and more natural and it’s going to give you that dewy glow we are looking for. An anti-redness CC is perfect for any blemishes or puffiness.  Top up any additional problem areas with concealer; for me, it’s the under eye circles that always need an extra helping hand.


Get Set and Contour: We are going natural, so a light dust of translucent powder will simply help to set your base makeup and combat any excess oil in the skin.  Using a matte neutral bronze blush, I like to lightly dust the hollows of the cheeks and down my nose for a little definition. Then, using a pop of pink blush on the apples of your cheek helps give that flush of colour without looking too overdone.



Using your finger or a fine shadow brush highlight, apply a light shimmer shade to the very inner corner of your eyes and bring this round to highlight under the arch of your brows.

You don’t need go smoky eye or liquid liner heavy here, simply use a matte mink shade of shadow on the outer corners of your eyelids to even the tone and add a slight colour. Define your brows and line the outer two-thirds of your lower lash line, this will make your eyes bright, as well as appearing larger and more defined.

Time to layer on mascara, working in from the root and ensuring you apply enough coverage to extend your lashes as long as they will possibly go will open up your eyes even further.



Dry lips in winter? Use a spare toothbrush to exfoliate them before bed and keep them topped up with balm. To make lips appear fuller use a neutral tone lip liner on the very outer lip line and blend with your fingertip to show natural definition, top with balm or gloss for shine and pout; the sheen naturally catches light, making your lips look perfectly plump!


No comments:

Post a Comment