Tuesday 14 October 2014

who am i?
 by Kate H.


My name’s Kate, I’m 21 years old, and I’ve lived in Plymouth in Devon for the majority of those 21 years. I’m currently studying Fashion, Media and Marketing at Plymouth College of Art. My long-term ambitions include: becoming a big-shot fashion journalist and travelling the world with a limitless credit card. As "new beginnings" is the theme for this month’s issue of Wonder magazine, I thought I’d get personal and tell you about my own new beginning...


When I finished my GCSEs, I was 16 and naïve. In fact, naïve may be an understatement. I’m not sure how I pulled it off exactly, but I managed to achieve a grade A or above in every single one of subjects... all 11 of them. My mother was positively baffled! But, I had always listened at school and favoured the title of ‘teacher’s pet’. At this stage I had big plans. I didn’t really participate in any clubs or do any sport. I hadn’t really discovered who I was, but I had money on my mind. Therefore, the only logical plan was to become a doctor. Now, I can only ask myself ‘what was I thinking?!’

I started Sixth Form, and little did I realise that unlike GCSEs, A-Levels are actually hard work. I really screwed up my first year... let’s not go into specific grades, or my complete and utter hatred of A Level mathematics, but I didn’t try hard enough or enjoy myself. So, I dusted myself off after that disappointing feat, and chose some new A Levels; Psychology, English Literature, and Philosophy and Ethics. I had a great time, and with some effort and hard work I managed to achieve ABB grades.

During the second year of Sixth Form, I was in the category ‘students who have absolutely no idea what they want to do with their lives’. Like most of my classmates, I applied for University. I made my dad take me to some open days, and decided I liked Brighton. So, I applied to study English Literature there. But, following the application, I had an epiphany. And unfortunately, that epiphany was that I shouldn’t go to University without a long-term plan... what with the new ridiculous tuition fees and all.

Anyway, I ended up working 20 hours a week at my local Primark, which isn't as bad as it sounds. The job was easy and I made some great friends, but I wasn't satisfied. Following this, I went on to do an admin apprenticeship at Derriford Hospital, and this was far worse than the Primark job. It makes me a little sad really... I worked with a fantastic bunch of people, but they never got the recognition they deserved. I got so fed up of working so hard and being paid just £2.65 per hour, on top of the general lack of appreciation I received from management, so I took my fantastical talents elsewhere.

To be more specific, I took them to Plymouth City Council, where I worked as a Customer Advisor for Adult Social Care via a temping agency. I didn’t mind this job at all; it was a breath of fresh air to be listened to and appreciated, and I made some lovely friends there too. However, I still wasn’t completely satisfied... this couldn’t turn into a long-term plan, it’s just not who I am.

So who am I? Well I’m still not sure, but my new beginning has just begun. In September, I started my degree at Plymouth College of Art and I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. From a young age I’ve adored creativity, and being around like-minded, creative individuals is such an energetic environment to be in. I’ve always loved fashion; the confident self-expression of individuals is so inspiring. And, I’ve always relished reading the glossy pages of expensive magazines, thinking one day I’d like to create something this beautiful. I’ve only been at the College for a few weeks, and I’m already aware that the next three years are going to be incredibly hard work. But we all know; you get out what you put in!

We all make mistakes in life... I’ve made plenty and I’m only 21, but I’ve got a newfound, positive outlook on everything! If I could go back and speak to my 16-year-old self, I’d say: ‘Kate, you’re not as smart as you think you are, and GCSEs are as easy as it gets, unfortunately. Be confident, be bright, and always put as much effort as you can into everything you do. Don’t rush any decisions. Enjoy being the age you are, and if you’re passionate about something then pursue it!’

However, if I had said this to myself, I’d probably have taken the exact same path... but that’s a good thing! I’m constantly learning about myself and about life in general. For me, the conclusion is that everyone needs a new beginning at some point in their lives. New beginnings are wonderful, exhausting, exciting and beatific. Sometimes a new beginning is a panacea...


No comments:

Post a Comment