Wednesday 7 January 2015

Finding My Running Shoes
 by Amy

Illustration by: Wayne Langdale

I used to be confused by people who run for fun. I just didn’t understand why anyone would want to spend the early hours of the morning jogging along the roadside. But then, one fateful Saturday evening, I made a decision over a glass of wine, which surprisingly turned out to be a good one. I was still in the phase of trying to impress my husband, who was then my new boyfriend. As our evening conversation reached a pause, I spotted a photo in the local newspaper and promptly blurted “I’m going to run a half marathon.”

It still seemed like a good idea the next day. Before I knew it, I had paid my entry fee, printed my training schedule and was donning my barely-worn tracksuit bottoms. A week later, I was just about able to manage the stairs with a little grace after overcoming the initial ache. And people had started to sponsor my half marathon effort, so I really didn’t have any choice but to carry on.

It took me a long time for me to grow into my running shoes, but now that I’ve got them on, it’s hard to shake them off. In fact, as a new mum, there is very little that I miss about my old life; going for a run without having to plan in advance is one of them.

Despite the initial ache in my legs protesting against the change, running quickly became a (mostly) cherished part of my routine.  That occasional half an hour with nothing to think about apart from putting one foot in front of the other and remembering to breathe works wonders for a busy mind. And I got to see things that would otherwise have slipped by unnoticed. In the past few years, I have had four different homes. Stuck in my daily working routine, I never really explored the places that I lived until I made time to run. I discovered that sometimes the view from the top is worth running up the hill for.

If you’re tempted, here are a few tips that helped me to run through the achy days from half-hearted to half marathon.

ONE
To ease myself into it, I opted to run early in the morning when most of the other pedestrians were those who were also attempting a new fitness regime, or I found parks so I could run away from the eyes of commuters. I soon decided, however, that it didn’t matter how I looked. Even though I felt ridiculous, panting and red-faced alongside the morning rush hour traffic, I soon realised that no one actually noticed. In real life, people don’t look like Phoebe Buffay when they run, even if you suspect you do.

TWO
I expect my motivation would have dwindled rapidly if I hadn’t set myself a goal. Signing up for a half marathon, although it might have seemed unachievable at times, was one of the main reasons I didn’t call it a day after the first week. There are so many different running events for worthy causes; it should only take a quick internet search to find one that fits the distance and dates that you want to aim for. It’s incredible how motivating it is to run with a crowd.

THREE
In the early days, I probably spent more time making running playlists than I did actually running, but I think it did help. Having a soundtrack with a beat that fits your pace can help you to keep going, especially when you reach a hill and the temptation to walk is irresistible. I also liked listening to the same playlist each time I ran, so I could see how much further I had travelled by the beginning of certain songs. 

FOUR
Acknowledging your efforts can inspire you to do even more. I’m not saying you need to fill everyone’s news feed with your daily statistics, but finding a running partner or someone with a similar goal can help to keep the motivation high. Even more importantly, learn to take pride in your own achievements. After all, setting a personal best and then beating it is one of the great joys of running.

FIVE
It shocks me now to think how little I looked after myself when I first started training, especially when it’s so easy. Stretch or you’ll regret it in the morning. Make sure you allow time for rest and recovery. Invest in a decent (not necessarily expensive) pair of running shoes. All of these little things make a big difference.


Five years after I discovered that running can be fun, it still hasn’t lost its charm. I’m not an expert, I’m just one of those crazy people who enjoys running up hills. But then you never know, you might be one of those people too!


No comments:

Post a Comment