Tuesday 18 November 2014

storytelling : an interview with Caroline Attia
 by Alice


Tell us a little about yourself...

I am a French illustrator and animation filmmaker based in Montreuil, which is just a few subway stops from Paris. It’s a very nice environment to live in; lots of old factories turned into artist studios and a nice, very mixed vibe. 

I am currently trying to do fewer commissions and work more on project development. I currently have two TV series in development with Sacrebleu production, working as a Visual Artist and Director, and the first interactive book I illustrated “Where’s My Whisper?” just came out on the app store!


When did your love for illustration begin?

I have always drawn, but I really started taking it seriously in first grade. A friend of mine was so naturally gifted at it and I wanted to be as good as him. We started drawing comics together.

My illustration work has always been driven by story... my first love of drawing came through comics and then I  moved on to animations when I met two very inspiring friends at the age of 14.


What inspires your work?

As I said, my work has to be driven by a story. I can’t really do an illustration before having a storyline behind it. Also, I am really inspired by travelling. Nature has amazing patterns and shapes; I am always thrilled to look at the some of intricate details of rocks and trees. I spent my last vacation in Scotland basically just walking and drawing.


How has your art developed over the years and how do you see it developing in the future?

The biggest challenge I’ve faced since I started drawing was working with colours. I started drawing only in black and white line work. At the beginning, I was mostly making comics and storyboards. Even my graduation film was based around a very calligraphic line drawing with sepia colours. After a while, I took my fear of colours into hand and started working on that.

Another change in my work is that I have recently put a real focus on light and textures; I am still pushing those areas at the moment.




How do you go about preparing for an illustration?

I start by sketching very tiny unreadable thumbnails until I have a composition I like. Then, I start working on sketches of the characters; I look for documentation either on the internet or from photos I have taken previously. I then scan the sketches I prefer, and in Photoshop I create a more precise line drawing of the illustration. I have a Cintiq (a graphics tablet), so it’s really easy to draw digitally. The next step is in Adobe Illustrator, where I create the main shapes of my illustrations, generally with muted colours or warm grey values. I then go back to photoshop to add colours and textures redrawn on shapes.

This system allows me to transcribe it in Animation, doing the props and characters vectorially in Flash, and adding light colours and textures in After Effect so I can get the same rendering.

What is your favourite drawing tool?
I actually have two… they keep switching places as my favourite drawing tool. The Muji 0,5 black solid ink pen gives a very sharp line and allows to draw quickly, and is very nice for sketching and adding details. The other one is a Pentel brush pen with a cartridge of black ink. I really love the lines it gives, and when the ink is a little dry it has a really nice texture.



Can you tell me about your favorite illustration that you have drawn?

It’s usually my most recent work, but very soon after, I start finding flaws in it which I then try to improve in my upcoming work. So, I don't really have a favourite illustration, but the projects I have been the most excited about are the more personal projects, such as the TV series project. “Casimilo and the Legends of the New World” is the one I have spent the most time with, so I guess it's the dearest to my heart at the moment.

Can we expect any exciting new projects?

I am currently developing a few exciting projects including some book projects and TV series. I have just recently illustrated an interactive book called “Where’s My Whisper” that is now available on the app store, with Anomaly Australia. It’s based on a story written by Carmel CS Sealey with music by Sarah Jeanne Ziegler. It’s my fourth collaboration with Sarah Jeanne; I really like what she does. You can find the book here

You can learn more about Caroline's work on her website. You can also purchase prints, phone cases, tote bags and much more over on her online shop


No comments:

Post a Comment