Thursday 12 March 2015

Unlikely Style Icon: Oliver Twist
 by Elisha

Yes, you heard right - I have major wardrobe envy for poor, little Oliver Twist. Think about it: brogues, waistcoats and a lot of camel brown all contribute to that androgynous kind of style we see scattered all over the place. Obviously, the attire should be a shinier, updated version of Master Twist's, but as earth tones and tailoring make a big appearance in the shops, I wanted to show you how the fictional character is having an impact on my many online wishlists (as, like Oliver, I’m pretty darn poor too)...


Androgynous shoes: A masculine lace-up is my wardrobe staple; since being gifted the Dr Marten 1461’s it is safe to say that my shoe game has never quite been the same (pointer: when you accidently rhyme in a feature about a musical, you’ve got to just roll with it, right?). Seriously though, there are so many different colours to play up your personality as well as a ton of different styles of shoe to fit the bill: a classic brown brogue, minimal white trainers or even some lace up worker boots. Whatever your fancy, there’s a boyish shoe for all.


White shirt: A timeless, crisp shirt really doesn’t need much explanation. There are so many different takes on them, from material right down to detailing, so all I have to say is they add the smart to any kind of casual outfit and I think you should seriously consider getting one. Dirt and the odd missing button are optional.


The Suit: A two-piece suit is the ultimate androgynous outfit. Being a big fan, I myself already own a camel brown combo. However, with pinstripes everywhere I turn, there’s no denying that at some point soon another set is going to have to enter my wardrobe. I personally love a navy and white pairing – sophisticated, striking with a boyish edge. 

Other Finds: Khaki, marl grey, waistcoats and jeans with rips at the knee are all key here.

So, this is how Oliver, the Artful Dodger and the rest of the boys are having an impact on my spring wardrobe – what about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment