Saturday 21 February 2015

Embracing Change & Breaking Beauty Habits
 by Kayleigh


Do you feel like your hair and beauty regime has been similar – if not, exactly the same – for a long time? Don’t get me wrong, some habits are good, but others are definitely worth breaking. With change comes fear; what if you make a change and you don’t like it? But, if you don’t try, how will you ever know?

Most of us follow the same routine every day; we get up, we wash and we get ready to face the day, and our hair and beauty regimes are no different...

How long have you had the same hairstyle – instructing your hairdresser on your bi-monthly appointment for “just a trim, but keep the style the same, please”?

Do you style it the same every day, using the same shampoo and conditioner combo? The same centre or middle parting and the same down or up ‘do?

Do you do your makeup on autopilot each morning? Same products, same shades and same order of application; the look you achieve is as familiar as your own facial features.

Like many aspects of life, we get comfortable; the thought of change is daunting, scary and unfamiliar. But to facing your fear of change can often mean you discover something wonderful; a new product, a new look and a hairstyle that makes you look and feel so good you wonder how you ever lived with it in any other style.

Why not embrace some small changes to start? Here are some changes I make throughout the year to help me break out from my beauty regime rut!

Hair Colour
My natural hair colour is a dull mousy shade. It’s not pretty, so it needs a helping hand with highlights. When Autumn comes round and the evenings are darker, I add some brown in addition to the blonde I already put through my hair. My regrowth is then less noticeable and I feel like I’m adapting my hair with the seasons. Not a big change but a change nonetheless, and then come the summer months and I go back to a lighter and brighter blonde.

Why don’t you try a slightly darker or deeper colour for the autumn/winter months and even go for some highlights in the summer? You'll also be amazed at the difference hair colour can make to your complexion.

Face Creams
I swear by both night cream and day cream. Something richer for overnight, when there's time to allow the product to penetrate the skin and let all nutrients to do their job. My day cream is lighter, less oily and acts as a good base for my makeup.

In the winter, I use a deep rich anti-ageing moisturiser for dry skin. My skin isn’t usually dry, but in the winter when you have to face the cold and wind, your skin will always crave some added protection.

In the summer, I will switch to a lighter night cream. In the day, I will use something with a high SPF, as well as a cream for oily skin to ensure I keep any added shine at bay.

Your skin gets used to the products that you use. Something as simple as switching face creams to suit the seasons will improve your skin tone and texture.

Makeup
I know my makeup routine off by heart; it’s the same every day.
Foundation, concealer under the eye and on blemishes, face powder, bronzer, highlighter on inner corners of the eyes and under the brows, brown liner, mascara and lip balm. Then I am ready to head out the door! I do mix it up slightly, switching my usual brown liner to a deeper shade if going on a night out. I'm sure you are probably the same; repeating the same look every day.

Ever thought about injecting some colour into your makeup? Using gold tones if you are wearing something brown? Adding a pink to your lips if you are wearing all black? Don’t be afraid to experiment with eye-shadow colours to enhance your eye colour. All eye colours suit a natural brown/taupe palette, but purple looks great with green eyes, pale pink can make blue eyes pop and greens can make brown eyes dazzle. Shaping and shading your brows also frames your eyes to stand out.

At the moment, I am going for a rose-tinted lip balm instead of clear, and a gel black eyeliner with barely there shadow to channel my inner vintage glam.

Hair Style
My hair has been long for a long time. I know that I don’t suit short hair; one time, I embraced the change and went for the chop, but the result was a very chubby faced masculine looking girl! I would always advise speaking with your hairdresser before going for a drastic haircut, but creating shape is a great way to change your hair without changing it too much! Add layers through the length for more volume or a side fringe for some shape around the face. Experiment with your hair's versatility. Add some waves, some curls, try out a top knot, a side bun or a fishtail plait. The possibilities are endless!

Body Scrubs
A shower or bath in the morning is often a bit of a rush; you have somewhere to go and people to see! You use shower gel or soap and you are on your way.

I now take the time to have a long shower or bath of an evening once or twice a week, as well as my quick morning showers. I use soap, followed by a body scrub for all-over exfoliation, followed by body oil. My skin has felt so much better from this small change. It really improves skin texture and tone; it is so easy to forget the rest of our skin when we focus so much on our face. When the summer starts approaching, you won’t be afraid to bare your arms and legs!

These are just a few of my tips to embrace change, and keep your hair and beauty fresh. I promise it will add a spring to your step!

Any questions, just ask :)

No comments:

Post a Comment