Saturday 18 October 2014

Crushes Turn Into Pumpkins, and Then It Turns Into Love : Why I Love Rachel Antonoff
 by Alice


I hadn't heard of American clothing designer Rachel Antonoff until fairly recently, probably due to the fact that I live in the UK (or maybe I just live under a rock), and I'm unsure whether coming across her wonderful creations is a blessing or a curse. All I know is that life hasn't been the same since...

When I came across her website, whilst browsing the internet and attempting to avoid work, I probably sat and drooled over every item for at least 45 minutes (that may or may not be an exaggeration). But the longer I sat and the longer I drooled, the more depressed I became that my wardrobe doesn't contain every single item from every single collection that she's ever created. And, as a further consequence, I hate all my clothes because they just don't live up to my now heightened expectations of all clothing. If, by some miracle, I come into a large amount of money, forget paying off overdrafts and student loans... I'll be receiving several large packages from Rachel Antonoff.

I refuse to be alone in this affliction. Prepare to fall in love...


Each of her collections has included their fair share of Peter Pan collars, 60's inspired A-line mini dresses, "I-wish-I-could-pull-them-off" flared dungarees, quirky prints, adorable embroidered shirts, and cute-yet-comfy sweatshirts. What's more, her models include the likes of Audrey Plaza (of Parks and Recreation fame), Tennessee Thomas (drummer for The Like, She & Him, and Jenny Lewis), and Mae Whitman (from Perks of Being a Wallflower), who are usually accompanied by some little furry friends. Seriously... It's like she's trying to torment me and my empty wallet.

To top it all off, for every awesome collection, there's an even more awesome film to accompany it. My personal favourite is "Crush", released for the SS14 collection, telling the real story of how Rachel's parents met and fell in love.

I dare you not to be charmed by everything created by Rachel Antonoff. Take a look at her website: www.rachelantonoff.com


No comments:

Post a Comment